Wednesday 9 October 2013

Review: Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta


Separated from the girl he loves and has sworn to protect, Froi and his companions travel through Charyn searching for Quintana and building an army that will secure her unborn child’s right to rule. While in the valley between two kingdoms, Quintana of Charyn and Isaboe of Lumatere come face-to-face in a showdown that will result in heartbreak for one and power for the other. The complex tangle of bloodlines, politics, and love introduced in Finnikin of the Rock and Froi of the Exiles coalesce into an engrossing climax in this final volume.

The last book of a series, I find, is almost consistently the best. In this case, despite loving the whole trilogy, I do love the third and last installment the most. It truly did bring the complicated storylines of Finnikin of the Rock and Froi of the Exiles to a complete close. The epilogue was outstanding, mysterious, leaving room for further interpretation yet at the same time, a sure closing. All the possible issues that were brought up throughout the trilogy were dealt with and resolved perfectly. But here I am going on about the end already. About the rest of the book...

Though I enjoyed the second book, the multiple point of views got in my way a little and made me slightly annoyed. In this one, the multiple point of views were all very well done. Detailed, descriptive, action-packed. It didn't make me want to hate on any of the characters. Instead, it helped me more thoroughly understand their motives and gain a deeper understanding of how complicated the plot was. Not to mention the dramatic irony that constantly came between Froi and Quintana. Like wow... Just wow.

The series as a whole definitely jumped to one of my favourites, if not my favourite. There was so much action and intrigue involved yet still a whole lot of emphasis on the relationships. There was just enough of everything. The characters were simply amazing. The reactions and actions of the characters, though I didn't like some of them, were all clearly explained and/or motivated. They were so realistic. Stubbornness, racism, uncertainty, anger. All things that I'm generally not too big a fan of in books, yet it fit the situations perfectly.

Lumatere. Wow, I'm gonna miss it. It's an absolutely beautifully crafted world. Of all the worlds in books that I have read, this might just be my favourite. The mountains, the different countries or provinces or whatever their called. The complexity of the different languages, the tension at the borders, the palaces, the great cities, the small towns, the mountains, the plains... Loved it. 

If you're into fantasy and don't mind a complex and fairly long read, READ THE LUMATERE CHRONICLES. I found this book to be a lot easier to follow than the rest of the books in the series and I'm not sure if it's because of the writing style or because everything was closing up. Either way, after reading this series, Melina Marchetta definitely has a new fan in me. 5 stars, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment