Monday 19 August 2013

Something Different: The Sea of Monsters

I'm sure most people have heard that the second movie of the Percy Jackson series is out. Whoopdidoo! So I went to watch it with a bunch of friends. I mean, yes, the first movie was absolutely disappointing. Normally they miss out on things but in that case, they completely twisted the plot. It was nothing like the first book. The characters were off, the whole storyline was off. So I didn't have high expectations for this one. And guess what! They did the same thing! Just to a slightly less extent. 

Let me clarify something first. The Percy Jackson series? One of my absolute favourite series. I love the wit, I love the awkwardness, and I'm a sucker for Greek mythology. So when a movie comes out about it, I'm bound to be more critical.

Don't get me wrong, the movie was pretty good. Good action, still Greek mythology. There were a few things that didn't make sense. Such as an extended hug scene when they probably should be doing something else. But overall, a decent movie. 

One thing though is the fact that they once again (not completely this time but quite a bit) disregarded the plot line. They mentioned things from the last book of the series(such as the big prophecy) and some situations were from the other books as well that weren't in the second book. They also left out a bunch, which I suppose is to be expected of a book to movie adaptation. 

So really, if you're looking for a decent movie, watch Percy Jackson: The Sea of Monsters. If you're looking for a good book to movie adaptation. Look elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment