Wednesday 3 July 2013

Review: Before I fall by Lauren Oliver




What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?  

Samantha Kingston has it all: looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last.

The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. Living the last day of her life seven times during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.





I've read Lauren Oliver's delirium series and absolutely loved it. I saw that this was a stand-alone book with no series behind it and immediately, my interest was peaked. The plot seemed kind of like, what was that movie, Groundhog Day? Except really sad. This was one of the few books that I've ever read that had the ability to move me to tears.


Lauren Oliver brought the harsh reality of teenage bullying to life through Samantha Kingston. An actual mean girl and revealed the emotional consequences in her victims. The characters are believable and really relatable. They go through common situations that many highschoolers go through. I found the bullying and high emotions as well as the popularity contests and the friendship to be very easy to relate to. I for one have been lucky not to be bullied too badly and as far as I know, have never been the mean clichéd popular girl, but I know it happens. And to see this in such a book was amazing and heart wrenching. 

As time goes on, Samantha experiences more and more. Any change in morals or opinions is well developed and backed up. Each day is different enough to not be considered repetitive as well.

If you haven't figured it out already, I found this book absolutely amazing. It was one of those books where you get to the end and say, "wow". I'm generally not one for sad books and I tend to avoid them at all costs. But this was definitely one I do not regret reading. 

I find it funny that some people rated this one or two stars on goodreads because it was "too realistic" or "a depressing read". Silly, really. It's an amazing book. 

It's really something refreshing. It's not really a love story. It's not a great adventure. It's about a girl, a normal girl who learns the consequences of her cruel actions in others' lives. It's truly a moving story.

No comments:

Post a Comment