Saturday 27 July 2013

Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.


I've read this book before and kind of forgot about it, though I felt that it did merit a review. I did enjoy this book both times I read it and can honestly say that it is definitely a good book to reread. And read, I suppose. I guess I'll just get into it.

Things I liked...

GREEK MYTHOLOGY - I am such a sucker for Greek mythology. I adore it. It's possibly one of the reasons I adore the Percy Jackson series so much and Greek mythology was all over this book. The way Angelini used it... ugh, I loved it!

STARCROSSED LOVERS - I guess it says it in the title. Starcrossed. And I know it's cliched. A lot. So you'd think I'd be sick of it by now and I am sometimes, but in this book, I really liked it. It worked. It wasn't just the typical new hot guy gets together with the nerdy not in the popular crowd girl. It's almost like there was a perfect explanation in the Fates. The Greek mythology really made this book work.

EVERYTHING HAPPENED FOR A REASON - You know when something big happens in a book and it never comes back? I hate that. But there was no really noticeable events that didn't have consequences in the future. Which also really unified the book with moments at the end mentioning things that happened near the beginning. It always gives me satisfaction when I can actually see how the whole book works together.

TITLE PAGE - Loved it! It doesn't really give too much away but at the same time is really pretty. And mentions the water which is a factor in the book considering it takes pace on the island of Nantucket.

THE DESCRIPTION - I liked it. Angelina provided just enough to get a sense of what they looked like but at the same time left enough to the imagination. Kind of like the title page, really.

THE END - I've said I don't like the ending for a lot of books lately but this one, I definitely enjoyed. There was an actual significant closing with a sense of finality at the same time leaving a lot of questions unanswered and setting up the reader for the next novel. I'm definitely kicking myself into action to read the next book. Dreamless, I believe it's called.

Things that I both liked and disliked...

THE PLOT - It was unique enough but I can see how some people describe it as a combination of Percy Jackson and Twilight. Really, the only similarity it has to Percy Jackson is the Greek mythology demigod stuff. As for Twilight, I do understand some peoples' points but I find this better written and more interesting than Twilight, personally. The plot overall didn't really do much for me however, and I was not riveted to every word on the page. It wasn't particularly too hard to stop and just ignore the book for a bit. Basically, it wasn't as suspenseful as I'd like it to be. Angelini spent a lot of time building the plot and describing the families and revealing the back story. As a result, there really wasn't that much action until the end. The bad guy doesn't really fully act until the end as well. Though the building up and back story, I definitely agree that they were essential to the story.

Overall...

I mostly liked this book. Well, actually, I didn't particularly dislike anything specific about the book. I liked the characters, I ADORED the mythology aspect of it. The writing or the plot, I'm not sure what it was, didn't really fully do it for me though. It simply wasn't suspenseful or action-packed as a lot of the books I've read. The back story was essential so I do understand why but still... I don't know. As a result, I'd rate this book 4 out of 5 stars mainly because I liked it, but something about it didn't really click with me. I simply wasn't as interested while reading as I could have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment