Sunday 7 July 2013

Review: The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island.

Until now.

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet.


Okay, so first thing I have to say about this book is... WHAT?! What kind of ending is that? No resolution seriously? See, I bought this book at a used bookstore today and thought it sounded really interesting. I've never read any of Kelley Armstrong's books before  but I thought I'd give it a shot. Especially since I've been to Vancouver Island before and kinda got an understanding of the area. I could kind of imagine it. Plus, mysterious happenings? In a tiny town? What isn't interesting about that?

The Good

THE PLOT - Oh my goodness. I loved it. I managed to read it on a busy day while in the middle of reading another book. It's definitely absorbing. There are so many little mysteries and clues that are never fully revealed. They're presented in such a way that their not overly obvious a if they're shouting "LOOK AT ME! I'M IMPORTANT!"  and it's difficult to see how they all relate. Definitely a great suspenseful, mostly unpredictable read.

THE CHARACTERS - The characters are likable and realistic. They aren't complete jerks yet they do have a sense of who's popular and who isn't. Take Maya for example, pretty much the main popular girl of the school they go to, but she's not as stuck-up as how some popular girls are portrayed in stories such as Before I fall. She still isn't the nicest person either though. The characters act just like I'd imagine they would in their situations, though some motives are unclear. It seems deliberate though and that their motives will later be revealed in the following books in the series. 

THE ROMANCE - The focus of this book is definitely not the love or that they(you know, Maya and the "bad boy") get together. There's not a lot of it either. There's just enough. A taste. They're together or they're not. A lot of the time it's uncertain, and that makes it great. 

THE WRITING - I don't usually comment on this. After all, I'm not a really good writer myself, but I really loved Kelley Armstrong's style. There was enough description to set the tone and get an understanding of the characters' emotions and personalities. Yet it wasn't overbearing, extremely detailed description. And also, the endings of the chapters. They weren't all cliffhangers. Cliffhangers are good and all but too many can ruin a book. So there were a few at chapter endings but not all.

The Bad (That seems mean, but I don't know what to call it. What I didn't like?)

THE END - Okay after all that suspense and all those questions, it just gonna ends? (I'm not sure if this is considered a spoiler) I mean, nothing was answered! It wasn't really a cliffhanger either! (Yes, we all hate cliffhangers but they make books so good!) It just kinda... ended. All the mysteries and suspense build up, and then there's no relief. There isn't really much of a climax where everything is solved. They escape one more close call and then... nothing. If there's a sequel, I'm expecting either some sort of ending or at least a cliffhanger. Not an ending that abrupt.Was just expecting a bit more finality or a cliffhanger. 

Overall

 I really did like this book. I was intrigued the whole way through. Not too much of everything, just the perfect amount. Realistic characters, a mystical plot. I was really going for it. Just... the ending. So abrupt, not really a cliffhanger. I don't really understand how it was much of an ending though I guess it did have some sense of finality to it. I'd still recommend this book though. Definitely. After all, despite the mild ending, there is a following book meaning the story truly is not finished. I liked it.



No comments:

Post a Comment