Tuesday 30 July 2013

Top Ten Favorite Beginnings/Endings in Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week has a specific topic to which bloggers make a list of their top ten books in that category.

This week's category is Top Ten Favorite Beginnings/Endings in Books. This one I found somewhat difficult mainly because I tend to not remember many books. But I did make it to ten! In no particular order...

Favorite Beginnings

1) Bright Young Things by Anna Godberson - The prologue was intriguing. It gave a bit of information of the time period yet it was so mysterious, I HAD to pick the book up. I mean: "They were all marching toward their own secret fates, and long before the next decade rolled around each would escape in her own way--one would be famous, one would be married, and one would be dead" What isn't extremely intriguing about that?

2) Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce - I lo
ve this book and I've reread the beginning many times. I don't know why. It just introduces an absolutely charming character, Daine. I don't know if it's because she's from the country, homeless. Maybe it's the way Pierce presents her and reveals a bit of her lies and backstory but not enough to make a judgment. Anyhow, it definitely works.

3) The Angel Experiment by James Patterson - I don't actually remember the beginning exactly... (time for a reread) but I definitely remember loving the beginning. And the whole book for that matter.

4) Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater - The beginning starts right away with something that almost seems like a flashback. It's both confusing and intriguing at the same time but it's certainly eventful and a great start to a novel.

Favourite Endings

5) Soulbound by Heather Brewer - I don't know what it is, but Heather Brewer makes KILLER cliffhangers. I love them(but at the same time hate them). It definitely keeps me reading whatever series she writes.

6) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Unique? I dunno. I liked it. As the Capitol tries desperately to kill one of them, there's a plot twist. That's interesting

7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling - Once again, unique. Except even more so. What kind of hero dies and comes back to life and lectures about love to the bad guy. I mean, you never see that anywhere. That's probably what makes it so great.

8) Illusions by Aprilynne Pike - Like soulbound, a cliffhanger, though maybe not as intense. But there are moments of panic as new powers are revealed. Makes it a great ending.


Books with Great Beginnings AND Endings
(Do these count as two each? Shhh)

9) Divergent by Veronica Roth - Loved this book through and through. The beginning already outlines how unique she is. Not in an obnoxious way of course. AND the ending! Action-packed, suspenseful, betrayal... AWESOME.

10) The Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Frances Long - This book is beautiful through and through. The beginning is a flashback. Dramatic and mysterious, setting up the whole novel. And the end. A close escape, loss and gain. Loved it.



So... yeah. That's my list. What are your favorite beginnings and endings? Link me to your TTT's in the comments! Happy Tuesday!

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I love your list. I'm hoping to get to DIVERGENT and SHIVER very soon (they're both waiting by my bedside table) and I've been curious about THE TREACHERY OF BEAUTIFUL THINGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED the treachery of beautiful things! It really presents fairies in a unique way. I definitely recommend it.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read Divergent! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) And yes, you MUST read divergent! It's a great book! Can't wait for Allegiant to come out. So excited!

      Delete
  3. You know what that flashback was in "Shiver?"...TWILIGHT! lol I couldn't do it after the first book...I couldn't even finish the book. But I love the author when she is writing anything but the Wolves of Mercy Falls. Hunger Games, Divergent and Wild Magic...awesome, I love those books too including the beginning and end of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I can see why you think that about shiver. At this point, for me though, anything with werewolves and/or vampires reminds me of twilight. xD

      Delete
  4. Whoa, Bright Young Things does sound intriguing. Might just give it a try :D Here is my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Bright Young Things but it's the prologue that got me to pick up the book in the first place. But maybe that's just me since I'm more of a fantasy girl. I've been bored and annoyed for most of the book so far. But I do know a lot of people do like it so maybe give it a shot. :)

      Delete