Monday 1 July 2013

Review: Glitch by Heather Anastasiu


     In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

     When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

     As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse. 

At first glance
When I first saw this book on the shelf at the library, I was intrigued. Glitch. Simple, interesting title. Pretty enough title page too. It didn't take much for me to grab it off the shelf. When I read the back however, I actually started to feel a bit of reluctance to read it. It sounds almost like a bad combination of Delirium by Lauren Oliver and Divergent by Veronica Roth(both of which I definitely recommend. If you haven't read them yet, do so). Not feeling love? Not feeling at all? Being in danger for being the odd one out? Turns out I was right. It was pretty much a combination of the two. 

What did I think?
The plot is okay, if not a generic dystopian plotline. She glitches, she panics, falls in love but isn't sure of the boy's intentions. Blah blah blah. And then there's that close friend, who coincidentally glitches as well AND complicates their romance. There's good action I found. And I did manage to read it one sitting(that ought to count for something right?). And there were good twists that made it interesting. 

But honestly, I didn't love it. Like I said, it's been done before. Of course there's some large company in control, some big conspiracy(which I guess is true of a dystopian world. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this). And obviously, there must be some person high up in power who pretends to be nice and gains control of the main character's boyfriend. Then there's the oh so common love triangle: the friend that she only loves as a brother, and her "true love" who she is absolutely attracted to. Normally at this point we'd start going Team Max! or Team Adrien! but no. Of course not. One is such an idiot that I don't even know how Zoe stood him! I wanted to wring his neck after he showed a few of his true colours! And his motivations were not very clear? I'm not sure how he developed that unhealthy obsession with Zoe. Really creepy, actually.

The things Zoe felt were a little unclear as well. There seems to be a fine line in what she can and cannot feel yet she still remains conscious when she's not feeling? I'm not sure. I just don't get it, but maybe that's just me.

Overall?
I definitely can't say this is the best book I have ever read. Not really in the top ones either. But perhaps I'm being a bit too harsh(especially for my first review on this blog, haha). After all, I do read quite a bit of dystopia. It's still a good read; action-packed, suspenseful, not too predictable either. It's pretty good, cliches aside and ignoring the mild confusion.

If you want a decent read and don't mind love triangles and overused dystopian situations(or even if you mind them a little) try it out. It's not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment